1) Scarves: Scarves are one of the most obvious differentiations between North American and European fashion. Everyone wears them here, and not just for warmth. In fact, they even have "summer scarves" made from light material so that they aren't too hot.
Some Winter Scarf Styles
And Some Summer Scarf Styles
And feel free to click through this gallery if you aren't yet convinced of the wonder of men's scarves. They just add a certain class that, well, isn't there without them. The super-interesting thing about the recent trend in scarf fashion is that they seem to be replacing the tie (not in very formal settings, but in casual-formal settings), which itself replaced the cravatte, which was itself a scarf tied fancily. Interesting, eh?
Another ulterior reason for loving scarves is that they almost necessarily increase modest. Oh, did I mention that they are just as popular for women over here?
2) Squared-Toed Shoes - European shoes always look more sleek and sophisticated that North American shoes. The current trend is a slight variation of the traditional European style: sharply pointed toes ending in a square and a heal about equivalent to cowboy boots. I have to admit that they aren't the most comfortable when doing too much walking or wearing them for hours at a time, but they certainly aren't uncomfortable and the sheer sexiness of them makes up for the discomfort. Yes, I did just use the term "sexy". On my blog. To refer to shoes. Scandelous. But no other way to describe them.
Unfortunately, I can't find any online pics that really do them justice. They look 10x better on a person's foot than they do in a window. Nevertheless, here's few photos to give you an idea.
Keep in mind that I'm not talking about the material of the above two shoes. They're a little sketchy in my book. Instead, I prefer the smooth black/brown leather shoes, but I couldn't find any good pics of those.
3) Fleece - They aren't particularly fashionable, but a good fleece keeps you nice and snug throughout early spring, autumn, and winter. The one advantage they have over sweaters is that they just don't feel as formal as a sweater. One can lounge around the house in a fleece, jump in a pile of leaves, or give the dog a bath without feeling like one is risking an expensive garment. I'd never go for too long without one.
4) Jeans - Nothing special here either. One needs a good pair of trousers to get around, doesn't one? ;)
5) Colored Eye Contacts - Don't leave home without them. I never do. For years people have thought my eyes are either green or brown, depending on which color I decide to wear. My secret? They're actually a sick violet color. Like this:
(That picture reminds me that babies are also a nice fashion touch, especially if they aren't your own)
Most babies born with violet eyes eventually grow out of them. 1 in one million adults have naturally violet eyes, Elizabeth Taylor being the most famous example. They might look pretty chic on a lady, but a guy with violet eyes wouldn't pass, so I keep no less than 5 sets of green and 2 sets of brown colored eye contacts with me at all times. I mean, I can't think of anything worse than being caught without them and having people notice that I have purple eyes. Honestly, what would you say if you saw me with purple eyes?
6) Long Over Coats - Okay, most of you won't need #5, so I decided to throw a sixth as an extra. Everyone has one here in Europe. Not everyone, I guess, but all social classes. About 70% of my students own a longer over coat. I fell in love with them about 30 seconds after seeing them and found a nicely priced one during the after Christmas sales.
Pretty darn nice, eh?
And now I'm supposed to tag people.
Miss N... because she always has the best fashion stories.
Olivia who has some of the cutest kids I'm not related to.
Caleb and Sashanna just to see if they actually read my blog.
And Spiff... because there's no way he'll do it. ;)
The rest of you can breath a bit easier, eh?
Here are the rules.
Title your post- Meme: Five things in my wardrobe that I wouldn't be without. [Edit: Since this is a blog title, please use proper capitalization. Thank you.]
Tell us who linked you.
List your 5 wardrobe items.
Paste these rules at the bottom.
Tag 2 or 3 others to join in the fun!