Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Summer Reading

Summer break is almost here (1 1/2 weeks to go!), and I find myself, for the first time in many years, with a time when I can plan to do some heavy reading. Now plans, as they always are, often come to naught, but I have a list of books that I'm taking to Europe with me and fully intend to read. If you've ever read any of them, and have anything to say about it, please let me know. So without further ado, my ambitious summer reading list:
  • The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
  • Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed: The Story of Chambon-sur-le-Ligne by Phillip Hallie
  • The Politics of Repentance by André Trocmé
  • Jesus and the Nonviolent Revolution by André Trocmé
  • Angels and Donkeys by André Trocmé
  • Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
  • Reflections on the Psalms by C.S. Lewis
  • The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis
  • The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Ethics by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Psalms: The Prayerbook of the Bible by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • By the Rivers of Babylon: 15 Sermons by Kaj Munk
  • Four Plays by Kaj Munk
  • The Epistle of James by Zane Hodges
  • The Epistles of John by Zane Hodges
  • For Men Only by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn
17, yes 17 books. But I must inform my dear readers, before they think me too ridiculously ambitious or more intellectual than I am: many of these books are not as in-depth as others. One at least is a children's book (Angels and Donkeys). Others are quite short or are a collection of shorter works (both of the Psalms and Kaj Munk's books). The two Hodges books are meant to be utilized along with a study of those Biblical books, so they will be read along with Scripture. So while it may take me a week to read The Cost of Discipleship or Surprised by Joy, I should (hopefully) be able to get through all or most of these books before I return at the beginning of August. And if I do not, then I shall have a leg-up on my Christmas Break reading!

For my extremely sharp readers out there I have a trivia question: What do the first 14 books have in common?

1 comment:

Spiff said...

The Hodges books are very good and fairly deep as well. I have read the one on James and am working through 1st John right now.